Send Jonny a Letter!


Send Jonny a letter!!

Elder Jonathan Collier
1015 Norwyk Ln.
Williamsburg, VA 23188

Monday, February 29, 2016

March is here already???

Hey Mom! 

This week has been great! We have been keeping busy! That is the most important thing. We have been teaching a lot. We seriously had a miracle happen. The Spanish Elders found a family in our area that we have been trying to contact literally since February 2nd, and we finally got in contact with them on Friday. We taught them Friday, and Saturday, and they all came to church yesterday! All 6 of them! Their four kids are 13, 14, 16, and 17. And not only were they there, we also had another investigator there as well that is friends with one of the youth in the ward! We had 7 at church yesterday, and none of them had ever been there before! It was crazy. The craziest part was, we could still have more at church! Good things are starting to happen here in the Poquoson ward, and I'm glad that I get to be a part of it! Our teaching pool pretty much doubled in size this past transfer!

Saturday we also got to go to a baptism in the Yorktown ward. It was my district leader, Elder Black's area. He goes home tomorrow, so he got to have one last baptism before he left. We were able to go because we had our investigator, Bryce, there, who was also at church the next day! He's doing really well. I also had to play the piano at the baptism... Not only that, but I was told that I was playing the opening hymn, and the closing hymn I was accompanying someone singing! So I pretty much had to sight read a song on the spot... I was praying so hard. It turned out really well though! And Bryce had a really good time! I was happy for him. He also went to the stake dance that night with his friend! We're hoping we can set a baptismal date with him soon, because he's really seriously looking into this!



Locked in the closet for a tornado warning!

Jonny and Elder Black

Elder Black is going home so they had a "funeral"



My companion and I get along most of the time, but sometimes we disagree on things... But we have a lot of fun, and we have been able to see a lot of success together!

I did get a card from the choir! That was awesome! I loved it. And the recordings of the choir that I have on my iPod are seriously so good! They are a great choir this year.

Transfer calls happened this past Saturday and.... me and Elder Sorensen are both staying! Nothing changed for us, and the Sisters in our ward are both staying as well! This upcoming transfer is a 7 week transfer though so that will be interesting. Apparently everyone's missions have been extended one week due to the MTC time being brought back up to 3 weeks! So this transfer is going to feel a lot longer than some of the others that I've had, but I'm excited! I don't want to leave Poquoson so that gives me a little more time here for sure!

You sound like y'all are doing great! You'll have to let me know how the ACDA choir is, and how the kids do at solo and ensemble. 

I hope you can get everything figured out with the house as soon as possible! It sounds like it's really coming along though. What does it look like? 

This morning I had a great experience during my personal study! We are reading through Preach my Gospel as a mission, and today we read in Chapter 9, the section "Working with Members." This is something that I have come to know is so crucial in missionary work! Investigators and new converts always do better when they have good member fellowshippers, or even better, when the members find the people to teach! I have found that definitely through my own experiences. And during my study today I thought that a great way to keep working with the members, would be to get involved with the youth and help them with their missionary work! I want to share with them some of my experiences and let them know that missionary work is possible. The youth of this ward are so awesome and I really think that good things can come from doing this! I'm really excited. It's just so great being a missionary!

Thank you for your scripture, that was really helpful! I know, and have seen, the Lord's blessings so much in my life out here. It is amazing the things that happen as a missionary! I absolutely love it. My ponderizing scripture for the week is "And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God." (Alma 31:5) I know that the word of God is really that powerful. By reading the scriptures, the Holy Ghost can come in and testify of their truthfulness. I love being able to read them so much every single day. 

I love you so much Mom! So much. Glad to hear you are doing well, and I will talk to you soon. 

Love, 

Elder Collier

No comments:

Post a Comment