Send Jonny a Letter!


Send Jonny a letter!!

Elder Jonathan Collier
1015 Norwyk Ln.
Williamsburg, VA 23188

Monday, March 7, 2016

Serving With All Your Heart!

Hey Mom! 

My week was really good too. I don't really know how to explain it, but as hard as it is to work and be a missionary, it's just gives you the greatest feeling in the world. There is so much out here that I am so excited to help with! I just need to be more focused I think, so that I can find those opportunities. 

Yes we were in a tornado warning... Apparently a tornado landed in Suffolk and Waverly. Waverly is near Richmond, which is pretty close to me but out of the mission. And Suffolk is not on the peninsula so that wasn't near us. It was pretty crazy for a couple hours though!

It sounds like a lot happened for y'all this week! That's so cool! Dad is going to be great on the High Council. It wasn't until I came out on my mission that I realized really how much effort it takes to have a stake calling. Now you both have one! I know you are both going to do great. I'm really excited for the New Vancouver North Stake. Great things are going to happen there! Also the NWACDA sounds like it was super fun as well. Everyone in the pictures looked great. What Dr. Reed said is so true though! All the Mormon boys can sing! There are so many missionaries out here that have musical talents. Granted, it's definitely not everyone, but I know the reason why I have been able to see my talents grow is because of the church! 

Speaking of that, I am going to sing "Savior Redeemer of My Soul" in sacrament meeting this upcoming week! I'm super excited. With how big the ward is, I was able to find someone easily that played the piano! I'm so thankful for Sister Peterson for being willing to do that for me. I'm really excited to sing though! Thank you so much for sending me that music.

This week was a good week though! On Monday and Tuesday and the beginning of Wednesday we were in a trio with Elder Burkart, because our District Leader, Elder Black, finished is mission! So he went home and his companion had to stay with us. It was pretty fun to be in a trio. There's never a dull moment when there are more than two of you that's for sure! This week was also transfer week, but neither of us left so it felt just like any other week. I'm so happy I get to stay here though! I never want to leave Poquoson! haha!

That family that came to church last Sunday did not come to church yesterday... but we will keep trying! We have seen them but just haven't been able to have a lesson because they don't want to do it unless everyone is there, which is completely understandable. The Dad has been out of town for work, so we hope that when he comes back today we can start meeting with them more consistently. That being said, we still had two investigators at church! We've had someone at church every week I've been here, except for one! One of those investigators is Matt, who has been meeting with the Elder since before I got here, back in October. He's so cool! We are still working on getting him to set a baptismal date... but he will get there. The other one that came is someone that we met this week. His name is Okey. He's from Nigeria, and he's visiting his sister, who is a less active member! She contacted us when he came! We didn't even know she was here because her records aren't in the ward, but they will be soon. (Hopefully) But Okey is really sincere and really has a desire to learn! I'm really excited for him. He's only here for three more weeks though, so we hope that we can teach him a lot and then pass him to the missionaries in Africa when he goes home! 

We've found a few other investigators too! The work is really starting to move forward, and I think the members are starting to see that and get excited by it! I hope that we can really get them to be excited for it! Thank you for sending those pictures! I'm going to print them out and hopefully use them in a Sunday School lesson with the youth, to get them excited about missionary work! We still have to get the Bishop's approval, but I will let you know. It seems like a good idea to me! 

Anyway this week has gone well. I'm going to focus on D&C 4:2-3 this week. "Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day. Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work;" I really want to focus on serving with all my efforts, not just most of my efforts. The scripture states that if we have a desire to serve God, we are called. That is all that is required of us! Then once we make it out here, we have to put forth the effort to serve with everything we have, and to rely on Him. I want to try to do that more. I will focus. I'm so excited to see the missionary work out here. I love being a missionary! 

I love you so much Mom, and I'm so thankful for all that you do for me. 

I will talk to you next week!

Love,

Elder Collier

No comments:

Post a Comment