Send Jonny a Letter!


Send Jonny a letter!!

Elder Jonathan Collier
1015 Norwyk Ln.
Williamsburg, VA 23188

Monday, February 8, 2016

Make The Most Out of Any Situation!

Hey Mom!

I'm feeling a lot better! My voice was pretty much gone for three days... It was just a little frustrating when we were teaching because I could barely talk! I called the mission nurse because on Wednesday it still wasn't back, and she said to rest my voice... So I rested my voice... as much as I could! It's hard to not talk as a missionary! I couldn't help it most of the time... haha! You just have to talk with everyone you see! Finally my voice has come back, although I still can't sing fully quite yet... that part is making me a little nervous! I want to be able to sing!

I have not run into your cousins, the missionaries in that area just said that they were related to me! I was up there one time on an exchange, but it's not in my zone any more. Hopefully I can serve there sometime soon and meet them! So Nola and new uncle Carl! I remember them! 

I may need more short sleeved shirts... although right now it's back down in the 40's! The other night we were biking and it was 35 but it felt like 25 with the wind chill. We have heard that it's supposed to snow tomorrow and honestly that would not surprise me. It was hailing last night! After being 75 on Tuesday and Wednesday! 

I hope Grandma gets feeling better soon. I am praying for both of them every night! I love them so much. Tell Aunt Linda that I love her too when you see her! I hope you can get everything done with that house. I laughed when I read about the Etch-a-Sketch. That was YEARS ago! haha! I can't believe none of the great grandchildren have touched it. that's honestly a tender mercy I think!

That's a funny story about Grandpa! He can set the example for all those guys he's living with! They can still be baptized... haha! and yes I did get Noah's address!

This week has been a crazy week. I finally got feeling better, but my voice was gone. On wednesday I took a little bit of time to rest my voice, and we made some cookies for some members in our ward! I'll send some pictures of them. We made about 38 cookies, and the box said it would only make 36... miracle number 1, and then those 38 cookies were exactly enough to have two per person for all the families we were giving them too! So that was pretty cool. But we went around and delivered some cookies to members that had been helping us with missionary work, and they have been more willing to help us out since then! Just little acts of kindness go a long way. We're going to make some more cookies this week for some other families! Plus it was so much fun to drop the cookies off ring the doorbell and run away! Honestly I felt like a kid for a little bit, haha!

Baking Cookies for the members!





Broken Bike :(

Saturday was a tougher day, I'm not going to lie. My voice was finally back, it was sunny, I was so excited to go out! We were biking and we had talked with everyone we saw. Granted, we had no success... but sometimes just talking with everyone is a feat on it's own! As we were biking though, I changed gears and my entire back gear thing... (I don't know what it's called) but it just snapped off! I don't know what happened. We were stranded, about 20 minutes biking from our apartment, so we had to call a few members to pick us up! While we were waiting we tracted a little bit, but then the Bishop came and got us. He took our bikes back and us, and then as we got out, Elder Sorensen left his helmet in the car. It was almost comical what happened! We didn't notice until the Bishop already left, and he left right after to go to Virginia Beach! Not only did I not have a bike, but Elder Sorensen didn't have a helmet to ride his bike with... I'm just so thankful for this ward though. Right now I'm using a borrowed bike from the Johnson family who are awesome. Hopefully I can get my bike fixed. I just got it! So our day was kinda thrown out of whack, and then the rest of the day I was getting frustrated with myself. But I was thinking about it, and I'm so glad for what I have learned from you and Dad! Sometimes you just have to laugh things off. During that entire experience, I never once decided to give up, I never once even let out a sigh or got mad or anything. I think I was laughing most of the time! I just think of what Joseph B Wirthlin said in his last conference talk: "Come what may, and love it." You just have to allow the things to happen and learn how to make the most out of the situation! 

I know the Lord is mindful of us. Sunday, I was still kinda wondering why all those bad things were happening to me. But as I went to church, during Sacrament meeting I was able to reflect on a few things. 1. The Savior knows exactly what we've been through. Everything. 2. Heavenly Father answers prayers. 3. Everyone of our trials is for our gain and experience! I was able to realize that during that time. I know he answers prayers, because I was honestly just praying for something good to happen, and that entire time at church we were able to just go around and talk with a lot of the members! I love this ward that I'm in! They are so great. The Lord is mindful of each one of our problems! He is mindful of US. 

I'm glad that you were able to have a great week this week. You always sound like you are doing awesome, and I know you are. I love you Mom! My scripture that I want to focus on this week is D&C 58:27 "Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;" I know that if we put forth the effort and do things with our own free will and agency to be engaged in a good cause, that the Spirit will be ever more present in our lives. When we act on inspiration that we receive, it becomes easier for us to receive more inspiration! 

I love being a missionary! I can say it time and time again. Things get tough, but nothing is going to stop me. 

I hope you have a great week Mom! I love you so much. 

Love, your son,

Elder Collier

PS- That choir tour to Salt Lake and Provo sounds like so much fun! I want to go to Tucanos! Although I have had Cafe Rio... There's one in Newport News and some members got it for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment