Send Jonny a Letter!


Send Jonny a letter!!

Elder Jonathan Collier
1015 Norwyk Ln.
Williamsburg, VA 23188

Monday, April 4, 2016

Isn't Conference Great??

Missionaries are the only people I know that put Peeps in the microwave
 to watch them explode!
Hey Mom! 

General Conference was so great!! I absolutely love watching it. There's something even more special about watching it as a missionary. I just feel like I have a totally different perspective. I was able to learn a lot from these sessions! We watched conference at 4 different members homes! We were at the Camarena's saturday morning, (although it starts at 12 here so it's not really "morning" haha) Then the Tackett's saturday afternoon, then the stake center for Priesthood Session, then the Johnson's for Sunday morning, and the Rigtrup's for Sunday afternoon! It was really cool to watch it with all of them, and I'm so thankful that they allowed us to come over! There is definitely something to be said about watching conference in a church building, but I also love being around the members! And that's really cool that you made him a cake for his birthday! Missionaries love that stuff! 

It's so hard to pick a favorite talk! I really liked all those talks. Paul V. Johnson's hit me pretty hard!
One of my favorite ones was Elder Mervyn B. Arnold's! He talked about "going to the rescue" and never quitting. He was the Seventy that came to our mission in November, and then our stake conference in January! So it was pretty cool to see him up there. 

I didn't know that Sister McKnight was singing in the choir! That's so cool! and that's funny that you saw bro McKnight first haha! They did such a great job. Even the priesthood choir did pretty good this year! I just always love listening to the different arrangements of the songs and hymns. I hope I can sing in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir some day!

Thank you for that picture of Grandma and  Grandpa. They look just like I left them! That made me happy to see them.

That choir tour sounds like it was pretty fun! Have you ever done anything like that before? And I'm sorry about state. I can't believe it didn't happen this year. Ah well, there's always next year! Plus you still made it for the men's quartet! And yes... I have definitely been able to more clearly see the Bigger Picture since being out on my mission. There are things that matter just a little bit more! 

This week was pretty great. My allergies are killing me though! There is pollen everywhere. I took a picture of our car one morning, but there is this thin layer of yellow pollen on everyone's cars. I had to go get some Flonase, and I've been on that, an allergy pill, and sudafed all week. I take it in the morning, I'm good for the day, and then it all seems to wear off about 9:30 at night, and then the mornings I feel like garbage again. But as long as I'm still able to go out and work I'm fine! I did lose my voice because of them though, which was really weird! I know I'm not sick! My voice has been slowly coming back... it's really hard to rest your voice when you want to talk with people! (I should probably be better at not talking... haha!)


Can you see the pollen on the car?



Saturday was a crazy day though! We were on bikes this weekend, and in between the morning and afternooon sessions we decided to go see this less active family! Well it's close to our apartment, but the only way to get there is to bike down the 55 mph highway without any sidewalks... So we went down there! It was Saturday and it wasn't too busy. We got there about 3:20 and the next session started at 4, so we didn't have a lot of time. Well as we were pulling up to their trailer, my rear derailleur hanger broke. Again! It's 'the same exact thing that broke last time! I was a little frustrated. And we didn't know how we were going to get back because we couldn't walk up the Highway! And conference started soon! So we called Bro Tackett and he said he could come get us ( I was so thankful for that). But as we turned around to walk to where he was going to meet us ( I had to carry my bike too) we saw a former investigator walk by! He was one of the boys in that family that dropped us. We talked to him and we were able to set up a time where we could come back and meet with them! We were able to get a book of Mormon in Vietnamese for his Dad too. It was kinda crazy that the only way we would have talked to him is if my bike broke like that. Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices! 

The Johnson's are letting me borrow their bike again, and I'll have to take my bike to get fixed when we get the car back from the Sisters. It'll all work out! 

Then Sunday we were able to have a good lesson with Matt. He's doing really well, and we just talked about the role of the Holy Ghost in our study of the Book of Mormon! It was a good lesson. We invited him to keep a study journal! As I've done this on my mission I definitely know that writing stuff down helps you be more in tune with the Spirit. When we write it down and act on it, we receive more. 

Overall it was a fairly good week. Things are definitely tough, but I've learned to just let things come and deal with it! Sometimes opposition just happens. Elder Oaks had a great talk about that in General Conference! But I know that Jesus Christ can help lighten our load. I'm going to ponderize Mosiah 24:15 this week which talks about this! "And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord." I know that while opposition is necessary for our progression, the atonement of Jesus Christ is what helps us through that! Everything is for our good and will work out in the end. It definitely hard to see it in the moment, but I know that eventually things will get better! Sometimes like you said, you just have to look at the big picture! 

Thank you so much Mom! It was great to hear from you this week. I love and am so thankful for everything that you do for me. Thank you for your testimony and example. I know that this church is true! As Elder Holland put it "We just have to try." As long as we try our best, we will receive those blessings! Our Heavenly Father loves us! Jesus Christ is His Son, and is resurrected.

I love you so much, and I will talk to you next week! 

Love,

Elder Collier

No comments:

Post a Comment