Send Jonny a Letter!


Send Jonny a letter!!

Elder Jonathan Collier
1015 Norwyk Ln.
Williamsburg, VA 23188

Monday, September 5, 2016

1 Year Gone!

Hey Mom!!

So we actually didn't get hit too hard from the storm! We got some pretty big wind gusts but that's about it. It was hard biking one day because of it, and we got rain dumped on us another day, but it was so fun! I think the people that got hit the hardest were actually the Outer Banks (crazy that I just left there) but they're all okay. No one had to get evacuated so that's good! My new Mission President's name is Randall Weed. His wife's name is Brenda Weed! 

So the work in Norfolk is a lot different from the work in Currituck. We were mainly doing less active work (besides the Greens) in Currituck, but here, we teach a lot of lessons! A lot of them are one and dones, like we teach them once, and then we can't ever get in contact with them again. But we found a lot of solid investigators this past week! It was a lot of fun. I love being on a bike, because you can just stop and talk to people and even teach a lesson right on the street. It could be as short as 10 minutes! It's been quite a change, but I'm getting the hang of it. Bike riding can be pretty tiring, but I'm getting used to it now. We bike about 22 miles a day... Elder Horton just got sent an odometer so we've been keeping track! It's crazy. Fast Sunday was tougher than normal being on a bike, but it was so worth it at the end! 

Our ward is a lot different too. I haven't quite figured out the Norfolk 1st ward yet. We're working on gaining some trust cause there have been bad experiences with missionaries here in the past. We have a plan to write thank you cards and give them to the members! 

We have a baptism planned for this Saturday! His name is Stacey. He was scheduled to be baptized this past week, but because of some opposition we had to postpone it. He even had to be interviewed again! But he passed and we're good to go for this Saturday. He's the nicest guy and he loves the church. We set a lot of other people with baptismal dates as well! We were teaching this guy named Colby and we asked him if he would be baptized October 8th, and he was like, "Yeah of course! What time will it be at?" And we were like, "So we actually have a few more things to teach you..." and then he cut us off and said, "Oh okay sorry, let me put the brakes on a bit." It was so cool to see that! I just love seeing people be excited about the Gospel. 

Elder Horton and I are still getting along great! He's sweet. It's so much fun to be companions with him! 

So I haven't got the pants yet, but those are the right colors! I'll be looking for them! CTR clothing is great! Those ties I have from them are the ones that are lasting the longest right now. I'm good on ties and shirts I think for now. Thank you! Maybe just a care package of snacks and candy would be nice haha! But only if it's not too much of a hassle! We don't get fed nearly as much as in my previous areas, so that's different! 

I can't believe my 1 year mark has already passed. It has moved by so quickly. My year mark was so much fun! We had a Zone meeting which was great, and this month we found out our District meetings are going to be planned, completely by the Spirit. We have a chapter in Preach My gospel, and that's all we have! I'm so excited to see how this will go. Before we have gotten outlines and we change what we need to based on our districts needs, but now the whole thing will be to the needs of our district. It'll be great! Then we also got rained on pretty hard on our way back and it was fun. 

Jonny with the Green Family from North Carolina.

A Brother he was teaching from his last area.
A family from his last area.

New Area!

P-day!


That's exciting about the NAFME conference! I'm excited for them! Rutabaga and Carrots were some of my favorite songs. What other songs are y'all going to sing? 

I think that's about it for this week... Everything is going great. My ponderizing scripture is D&C 68:4 "And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation." I know for a fact that the Holy Ghost puts words into our mouth so that we say what needs to be said. I have experienced that so much, especially here! It's so cool. And I know that when we speak by the Power of the Holy Ghost it is what the Lord would want us to say. 

I love you so much Mom! Things are great here. I'm glad you got to go to the temple! I'm not gonna lie, I miss it there. But I wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Thank you for all you do for me. You are the best. The church is so true! I love it.

Love you so much,

Elder Collier

No comments:

Post a Comment