Send Jonny a Letter!


Send Jonny a letter!!

Elder Jonathan Collier
1015 Norwyk Ln.
Williamsburg, VA 23188

Monday, November 9, 2015

Begin With The End In Mind

Hey Mom!

This week was pretty crazy even though not much happened! We only had 3 lessons, and none of them with any investigators. But our three lessons were with less active members and they all went really well. It's kind of hard sometimes to look at the numbers at the end of the week and not see any lessons, but I know that as long as I'm working hard and trying my best that's all that matters! 

That sounds like an awesome plan for scripture study. I will try my best to add when I can, but I read a lot more than one chapter a day haha! 

So you know that there are 4 missionaries in our ward. The other two missionaries, Elder Rice and Elder Weber, had two investigators get baptized on Saturday! A woman named Sita and her 12 year old son Eric. They are so awesome and they were definitely prepared by the Lord. The baptismal service was really good, and Elder Nutter and I were the witnesses for the baptism. Elder Weber baptized Eric and Elder Rice baptized Sita. I was so excited for them. Then at church the next day we got to help confirm them. The ward already loves them and I can't wait to see them continue to grow as members of the church!



We met a man in our apartment complex that lives 3 doors down from us who is actually a member of the church! He found us one day and said that he had been a member since he was 12, but hadn't been to church in a while. Then he went to church when he joined the army at basic training, but since he got out he hasn't been going. Well we found him and he's a really guy. And he came to church yesterday! He seemed like he was really having a good time and I was really happy to see him there. We helped him move his records over and everything and I think he's going to continue to come. He is also married to a woman who isn't a member so maybe that will lead to something soon! I am going to try my best to keep them moving in the right direction. Plus it's pretty easy to keep in contact with him haha!

I heard about the policy change when I was at dinner one night, it's weird that we don't find out anything out here! And in our letters from the mission president he talked to us about it. There hasn't been any controversy that I've come in contact with, but there are some great tools on lds.org and ldsnewsroom to answer those questions. 

With every change there will come a backlash and that's just Satan trying to fight against the church. But the real question that one must have when they have a question about a specific church policy is, "Are these men prophets of God?" which leads to the question, "Was Joseph Smith a prophet of God?" and that question can be answered by answering another question. "Is the Book of Mormon true?" Anything in the church can be answered by that one simple question. If we know that the Book of Mormon is true, which we can find out by sincerely asking and praying about it, (Moroni 10:3-5) then every other question we have about church policies can be easily answered. I know that the Book of Mormon is true, and I promise that anyone can find out for themselves that it is true as well. If we can all have that true conversion through the Book of Mormon, then small policy changes wouldn't really be an issue!

Oh! I just remembered, next week we are having a mission Conference on Monday and Elder Mervyn B. Arnold of the Seventy is going to come and teach and instruct us! But since it is on Monday, we are having our P-day on Tuesday which means I won't email back until Next Tuesday. One of the things that we've been asked to read in preparation for the conference is a talk to new Mission Presidents by Russell M. Nelson called "Begin with the End in Mind". In it he talks about how as missionaries we need to begin teaching someone with the end in mind, which is exaltation. Everyone we come in contact with are children of God, and if we have saving ordinances in mind when we meet people, we can help our Heavenly Father bring to pass His work and His glory. (Moses 1:39) Immortality is given to everyone through the Atonement, but Eternal Life can only come through true conversion and these saving ordinances! 

And a line that I really like in there says, "Every missionary can have at least one convert on a mission: himself or herself!" I know that even if I don't have any people be baptized while I am out here, if I can become truly converted to the Gospel, then generations of kids born into the church can receive these saving ordinances as well, because of me. That doesn't mean I'm not going to try my hardest to help the people out here, because that's what I'm here for! But as long as I put forth my best effort, the Lord will make up the rest. 

These are just some insights I had this week. My ponderizing scripture for this week also goes along with that, "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, and in purity." (1 Timothy 4:12) If we can all "be... an example of the believers," I know that people will see us and they will have that desire to learn more. We just always need to keep the end in mind! 

I'm glad to hear everything else is going well. I love getting your email every week! I know your talk is going to be awesome. And thank you for the article! It's really cool. And I do not think I will need boots, plus in the handbook it says you can't wear them unless your mission President authorizes them, so I don't even know if they are! But I'm fine, it doesn't rain every day! haha! 

Thanks so much for your love and support. I love you so much. 

Talk to you next week!

Love your son,

Elder Collier

No comments:

Post a Comment